Well, sir, let me explain. He's never been to my hometown , to AB or Canada.
Professionally, for those of us in natural resources, we have conventional oil/gas exploration and we also have a variety of unconventional - shale gas, heavy oil, oilsands and lots of H2S challenges. Pick your professional challenge and opportunity to grow. We have some amazing experts and technology happening.
Outside of that - a vibrant city that is growing. Creativity, green iniatives and a spirit of entrepreneurship and a strong Western heritage. Space. Healthcare (albeit challenging at times), education, a variety of post-secondary options. So many golf courses you can trip over them. Sky. Mountains. Water. Multi-culturalism - I learned about Ramadan in elementary school, not the first time I came to the Middle East.
Freedom and opportunity. Here, I meet at least one person a month who are actively trying to move to Canada. People from less fortunate backgrounds often tell me that I am lucky. Lucky to be Canadian. And you know what? I am lucky.
Of course not all Canadians want to stay where they are. I meet Canadians every day travelling the world, working abroad. We are all enjoying ourselves, learning and experiencing. But every Canadian I meet - we all know we come from a pretty kick a** place.
I didn't bother enlighting my colleague. I will wait until he sees it for himself!
Yes, many people at Total just don't get it. Unlock most places where Total is a dream job and once you get in people would never leave, here in Calgary, there are just as good (and sometimes better) opportunities just across the street.
ReplyDeleteUnless you are looking for an international experience, it makes more sense to just get a job somewhere else.