Considering we have only been here for 17 days now, a lot has happened on the process of getting the infamous “RP” (resident permit). But the fun hasn’t stopped there either! We have also experienced the joys of the Traffic Department (for the car), Qatari maintenance departments (for the very old and leaky villa), furniture deliveries and Qtel.
When we last left off the story, I had completed the blood test, had ID pictures taken, gone for the medical and taken the eye test.
Since then, I have been fingerprinted – again another building in the desert (although as my co-worker put it…everything here is actually in the desert…but I swear that all government buildings here are in the most obscure locations!). Again, it was with Mr. H and off to the “Ladies Entrance” for me. The fingerprinting was actually quite quick as it was done digitally (thankfully no old school ink). It took a couple of days to clear (making sure that I am not an international criminal) and then low and behold – I get called down to HR and am given not only my passport back (hallelujah!) complete with “RP” included in it but also I have the infamous and so very valuable “ID Card”. This ID card holds the key to many, many things. Most importantly, as I mentioned earlier, the process for C’s RP can officially begin. But it also means we can buy a car, open a bank account and have Qtel come and set up the house phone. The house phone holds the key to the most valuable item…the internet.
As for the car, well we bought it through the French Connection. However, the seller was leaving the country for good and there was a quite a big rush once we decided to buy it. It is a 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero and if you have seen the driving here (we will have to post videos…it is one of those see it to believe it things) then you know that you need a big car with a big engine. As it was put to me, “you must be able to speed away from dangerous situations”. Unfortunately, in my mind, there is one of those “dangerous situations” about every 5km…a roundabout. Full of people who don’t have a clue/don’t care about how a roundabout is actually supposed to work.
But back to the adventures, since the car had diplomatic plates on it we had to have the plates changed which involved a convoluted paperwork process with Foreign Affairs. Luckily for me, the seller had to do this. Unluckily for me, by the time the papers arrived it was 12 hours before he left the country for good.
When we last left off the story, I had completed the blood test, had ID pictures taken, gone for the medical and taken the eye test.
Since then, I have been fingerprinted – again another building in the desert (although as my co-worker put it…everything here is actually in the desert…but I swear that all government buildings here are in the most obscure locations!). Again, it was with Mr. H and off to the “Ladies Entrance” for me. The fingerprinting was actually quite quick as it was done digitally (thankfully no old school ink). It took a couple of days to clear (making sure that I am not an international criminal) and then low and behold – I get called down to HR and am given not only my passport back (hallelujah!) complete with “RP” included in it but also I have the infamous and so very valuable “ID Card”. This ID card holds the key to many, many things. Most importantly, as I mentioned earlier, the process for C’s RP can officially begin. But it also means we can buy a car, open a bank account and have Qtel come and set up the house phone. The house phone holds the key to the most valuable item…the internet.
As for the car, well we bought it through the French Connection. However, the seller was leaving the country for good and there was a quite a big rush once we decided to buy it. It is a 2007 Mitsubishi Pajero and if you have seen the driving here (we will have to post videos…it is one of those see it to believe it things) then you know that you need a big car with a big engine. As it was put to me, “you must be able to speed away from dangerous situations”. Unfortunately, in my mind, there is one of those “dangerous situations” about every 5km…a roundabout. Full of people who don’t have a clue/don’t care about how a roundabout is actually supposed to work.
But back to the adventures, since the car had diplomatic plates on it we had to have the plates changed which involved a convoluted paperwork process with Foreign Affairs. Luckily for me, the seller had to do this. Unluckily for me, by the time the papers arrived it was 12 hours before he left the country for good.
I requested some paperwork from HR which arrived Sunday AM all in Arabic. Okay good. That’s usually a good sign. So I am suddenly plucked from work to drive to yet another Traffic Department (different than the eye test place) but conviently also in the desert. This time we have the “Company Liasion” (Mr. O) from the French Connection. I spend 2 hours chasing Mr. O and the seller down hallways were there is even more handshaking and such than before. Every now and then I had over money or my ID card. 400 QAR later, the car has new plates and I have a registration card. Since I didn’t have insurance, they weren’t going to complete the forms for us. Somehow, Mr. O got them to do us a “favour” and I have to promise to take my proof of insurance back to the Traffic Department the next day. Yikes. I don't intend to find out what happens if I don't do this!
At this point I now own an uninsured Pajero. It is promptly parked in our old hotel (reasons to befriend the Concierge) and I return to work to call QIC (aka Qatar Insurance Company) for a quote and appointment. Thankfully, I get both. Appointment next morning.
Interestingly enough, insurance for the passengers in your car is “optional”. Default coverage is just for the driver I guess. You can also get optional coverage for 1) off-road (otherwise your car is not covered off a legitimate road – ie. on a sand dune) and 2) Liquor.
At this point I now own an uninsured Pajero. It is promptly parked in our old hotel (reasons to befriend the Concierge) and I return to work to call QIC (aka Qatar Insurance Company) for a quote and appointment. Thankfully, I get both. Appointment next morning.
Interestingly enough, insurance for the passengers in your car is “optional”. Default coverage is just for the driver I guess. You can also get optional coverage for 1) off-road (otherwise your car is not covered off a legitimate road – ie. on a sand dune) and 2) Liquor.
Yup, you can buy coverage that if you get in an accident and found to be under the influence (remember there is zero tolerance here so that limit is anything over 0.00) then you can at least have insurance pay for the damage to the other person and their car. You and your car are out of luck…but let’s be honest…if that happens you have much bigger problems including a fine, jail and deportation.
I get the insurance and our Company Liasion, Mr. H very kindly takes it to the Traffic Department for me. That same day I get my official Qatar Driving License. It is a very exciting day all around so I think, “I should open a bank account now”. I was given a flyer on the services offered to “corporate clients” of QNB (guess what that stands for…Qatar National Bank…seeing a trend here). The features are pretty good so I call the number on the bottom and…get this…the banker comes to see me!! At my office!! He goes through the forms with me and collects copies of all the documents! Now that is good service. In a week or so, he will drop off the debit card for me and some cheques. Brilliant.
I get the insurance and our Company Liasion, Mr. H very kindly takes it to the Traffic Department for me. That same day I get my official Qatar Driving License. It is a very exciting day all around so I think, “I should open a bank account now”. I was given a flyer on the services offered to “corporate clients” of QNB (guess what that stands for…Qatar National Bank…seeing a trend here). The features are pretty good so I call the number on the bottom and…get this…the banker comes to see me!! At my office!! He goes through the forms with me and collects copies of all the documents! Now that is good service. In a week or so, he will drop off the debit card for me and some cheques. Brilliant.
All in all, it has been an extremely successful 17 days thanks to the help of a lot of people to whom we definitely owe presents!
No comments:
Post a Comment