Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sitting in a Costa Coffee and...

...selling tickets for a Dhow Cruise put on by Canadians in Qatar!

Would it surprise anyone to know that I am volunteering with the CiQ group? That's a large part of what we have been up to lately...working with a really fun and diverse group on the Canadians in Qatar re-brand and re-launch! All of which will be unveiled at the Maple Leaf Bash on May 20. It is fun to be a part of a group in transition again, takes me back to the original ACE Mount Royal days (shout out to Mike White, Chris Grigg, Jill Walker, Vance Gought, et al).


Anyway, I can't get into all the top secret details here, but I will add the poster below. We are going to make a really good time - Canadian style. If there are two things Canadians can do well, one is make fun of themselves and the other is party!



Outside of Canadians in Qatar...well, let's see. Work is work. Big C is on the job search. We had dear friends come and visit from Bahrain. S has really good timing, she saw the writing on the wall and booked to leave the same day the Canadian Government advised to do so. They had an interesting ride to the airport, military from the neighbouring country (I will let you figure out which one), blockades and gun fire. We are very happy that they made it safe and sound. We had a good few days in Doha. They have two kids and it was fun to have them at the house. The "grown-up" boys went on a St. Patty's night out and S & I went to a girls night in sushi party.


Since then I have been carrying on with WW, but not yet losing any of the 10 lbs I have gained!


I wrote (and passed!!) my French exam for Level A1 (that's A1.1 & A1.2) with a personal triumph of 89/100. It has renewed my desire to learn French and so I am starting A2.1 next week. I may live to regret that. Big C also passed his Sport Diver course, the next level in his BSAC journey. Definitely some successes to be proud of.


We went desert camping for a second time (I am not even sure we blogged about the first one!) but this time was at a Qatari style camp. Fenced area with tents, a portaloo, campfire, beach volleyball net and an eating area. That was lots of fun and a great opportunity for us to (finally) socialize with some co-workers.


This week has maintained its pace...instead of WW, a friend and I walked one whole side of the Pearl (we were the only two members in town so we changed up the meeting a bit!) and the next night we went to the infamous Turkey Central! Cheap (very cheap) and cheerful Turkish food with the ambiance to match.


Yesterday was Book Night (basically a group of ladies swapping books in English) and now here I am tonight at Costa Coffee hoping that someone shows up to buy a ticket or two.


This weekend I am a free woman, Big C is out of town on a dive trip to Oman with a friend from Nigeria (a former co-worker of mine finishing his assignment there) and I will be attending a wine tasting (yum yum) on Saturday night.


All in all, things are great. Can't complain...other than about the weather! We are socked in with another sandstorm and 37 degree weather...which when it comes with no sun, piles of dust and sand that sticks to the sweat...I can assure you it is no fun!


Bye for now!


Little J

No comments:

Post a Comment