Doha is a city where a car will set you free. Despite the fact that driving is a dangerous activity, the volume of traffic, lack of true (and safe) public transit combined with the heat and the limited number of sidewalks (keeping in mind that driving over pavement is quite common) means that without a car - life in Doha can be tough. After the traffic tripled in September, we lasted a month of juggling schedules and battling traffic before we realized a second car was necessary. We have started shopping but are really wrestling with what to get.
I like being up a bit higher (helps for visibility when I am at roundabout surrounded by Land Cruisers) but even a small SUV new or used (within a reasonable age) is still expensive (given our budget and the loan I can get from the company). So that takes us to a car...but what kind of car?
We have looked at new and used - including the two door Pajero, Hondas (cars), Toyotas (cars), Volvos (cars) but I haven't found anything that grabs me yet. Plus, we have no idea what a good price is here.
So in the meantime, I have a rented Nissan Lancer 1.3 (little deathtrap) but it is new (came with the plastic on the seats and the sticker in the window and everything!) and it will give me freedom for cheap - $500 for a month. I can live with that (includes insurance too!).
We will have to see what adventures I take on my own as now it is my turn to learn the city - only not from the comfort of a Pajero!
No comments:
Post a Comment