Saturday, October 16, 2010

More Cooking Adventures....

One of our goals for our time in Doha is to become better in the kitchen. We aren't bad, but we make some amateur mistakes each time (timing, flavours not quite right, etc) that we know won't go away without practice. Diligently we are doing our best each week to find new recipes (either in the cookbooks I brought or online) and try something new.

I am a believer in cookboooks and recipes because it makes me try ingredients and combinations of ingredients that I might not if I was left to my own devices and often recipes get me trying things I haven't eaten before.

Tonight was promising - Chili Stuffed Zucchini - it actually looked like the picture in the book when we made it. BUT, we for the "pickled jalapeno slices" we chose the Vlasic ones at Spinney's (grocery store) and overestimate how spicy they would be. Needless to say, one cup of chopped picked jalapenos just about ate through our stomachs. It was a shame because once you got past the mouth numbing hotness, they were delicious!

Oh yeah, the Vlasic bottle said "HOT". We weren't sure if that meant you could get mild and medium as well, or if it was just a warning. I want to go back and try the Cantina (Mexican) brand to see if all pickled jalapenos are this hot or if somehow, Vlasic made theirs extra spicy. I read the ingredients though - jalapenos and distilled white vinegar and some chemicals labelled as "preservatives". So not sure that the Mexican brand would be any less deadly.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I don't think the difference will be in name brand of jalepenos, but I think in the quantity of what you added. A cup sounds like it would be HOLY SPICY! Also a tip if you remove the seeds it will also be a little less hot.

    ReplyDelete