I am the farthest thing from a movie person...to be honest I find it hard to find any subject compelling enough to hold my attention for two hours. Much to the chagrin of my "movie elitist" sister, I generally stick to lighthearted chick flicks and dumb comedies. I cry easily so I avoid sad movies, I hate war movies and I like comedies because I turn to movies as my escape. I leave the heavy hitting subjects to the books I read. It's not for everyone, but it is my approach.
But when the Doha Tribeca Film Festival came around I told myself that I would push myself a bit. Not a lot - skipped ones on abuses to women in Africa and the ones about Palestine/Israel conflicts.
It started with Outside the Law (as I blogged about earlier). Which was interesting, beautiful cinematography and violent. I didn't get to see the end, but I was at the point where I didn't want to. So, good movie, but too long. Plus I was ill, so my review doesn't really count.
Then it was Arab Short Programme 2 which I really enjoyed. I don't think I have ever seen a non-animated short film before and these were neat because they are not big budget films, but those of film students, aspiring filmmakers and actors and different styles of filming. I didn't see the last one (3 Hours) because I had a date with Kevin Spacey (sort of). The program of movies is here:
But when the Doha Tribeca Film Festival came around I told myself that I would push myself a bit. Not a lot - skipped ones on abuses to women in Africa and the ones about Palestine/Israel conflicts.
It started with Outside the Law (as I blogged about earlier). Which was interesting, beautiful cinematography and violent. I didn't get to see the end, but I was at the point where I didn't want to. So, good movie, but too long. Plus I was ill, so my review doesn't really count.
Then it was Arab Short Programme 2 which I really enjoyed. I don't think I have ever seen a non-animated short film before and these were neat because they are not big budget films, but those of film students, aspiring filmmakers and actors and different styles of filming. I didn't see the last one (3 Hours) because I had a date with Kevin Spacey (sort of). The program of movies is here:
http://www.dohafilminstitute.com/filmfestival/shortprograms/shorts-programme-2
Then I went over to the Opera House in the Katara Cultural Village to see a special screening of Casino Jack with Kevin Spacey. Based on the true story of Jack Abramoff, the Washington "super lobbyist" who got in over his head (some murder and scandal involved as well!). I am not up on my US politics, but Kevin Spacey (who came out and introduced the movie - see video clip above) did a fantastic job. Very well done! There was a short Q&A session afterwards and he came across as a very kind and patient man (he was ever so amused by the Arabic translator) with an easy, friendly demeanour.
Then I went over to the Opera House in the Katara Cultural Village to see a special screening of Casino Jack with Kevin Spacey. Based on the true story of Jack Abramoff, the Washington "super lobbyist" who got in over his head (some murder and scandal involved as well!). I am not up on my US politics, but Kevin Spacey (who came out and introduced the movie - see video clip above) did a fantastic job. Very well done! There was a short Q&A session afterwards and he came across as a very kind and patient man (he was ever so amused by the Arabic translator) with an easy, friendly demeanour.
Outside the Opera House by the red carpet...which we got to walk in on!




Movie elitist? I prefer "film snob" :P
ReplyDeleteJust checking to see if you are reading the blog - LOL
ReplyDelete